The Institute of Computer Science at the University of Innsbruck, Austria, invites applications for a
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH POSITION IN CLOUD AND EDGE COMPUTING
Candidates with good background in distributed, cloud and edge computing and interested in one of the following research areas for cloud-edge infrastructures are encouraged to apply:
- programming APIs and application development for the cloud-edge continuum
- scalable, resilient and autonomous runtime systems
- resource management and provisioning
- serverless architectures for distributed applications
- distributed data management
- AI-enabled cloud-edge framework and cognitive services
- discovery, provisioning, orchestration and usage of edge-cloud services
- scheduling and optimization for energy efficiency, economic cost, and performance
- Quality of Service (QoS) provisioning and Service Level Agreements (SLA)
Applicants must hold a doctoral degree in computer science or in a similar field. Applicants must be willing to teach courses in English in distributed systems and programming both in bachelor and master degree programs. Furthermore, excellent written and oral communication skills in English as well as team and communication skills are expected.
- Java (expert programmer)
- git and GitHub
- experience with cloud providers, e.g. AWS
- Eclipse VertX
- google guice
- scripting language (e.g. python or node/typescript)
- Serverless (FaaS) platform
- edge and IoT computing infrastructures
- Experience with ML/RL/DL
- event-driven systems
Profile of our group:
The Distributed and Parallel Systems Group (DPS) of the Institute of Computer Science focuses on simplifying the effective use of heterogeneous multiprocessor architectures and geographically distributed resources (including Cloud-Edge infrastructures), which will provide the basis for the next generation of AI-enabled performance-oriented applications. Our main research system is APOLLO (https://apollowf.github.io).
The appointment is for three years full-time employment but can also be shorter if preferred by the applicant. The employment will start as early as possible. The position comes with a competitive salary and opportunities for teaching.
Note that the working language and the research program is in English only. There is no need to learn German for this position.
About the University of Innsbruck (UIBK):
Founded in 1669 with several Nobel Prize winners, today the University of Innsbruck is the largest educational institution in Western Austria ranked as an international top-200 University in Computer Science. UIBK has a long history in distributed systems, and has been involved in a substantial number of national and international distributed systems projects. We are developing the Apollo application development and computing environment (https://apollowf.github.io). We have coordinated several EU projects on distributed and parallel systems including the edutain@grid, AllScale and the ENTICE project. We are currently investigating the cloud/fog/edge continuum which is changing from a pure elastic provisioning of virtual resources to a transparent and adaptive hosting environment that fully realizes the “everything as a service” provisioning concept, from centralised cloud to the edge and from network and computing infrastructure up to the application layer.
Innsbruck and its Environment:
The City of Innsbruck, which hosted the Olympic winter games twice, is located in the beautiful surroundings of the Tyrolean Alps. The combination of the Alpine environment and the urban life in this historically grown town provides a high quality of living.
How to apply:
Candidates should submit their application as soon as possible.
- Motivation letter (Why does your expertise and vision fit the profile of the open position? explicitly refer to the required and preferred skills)
- Full CV including at least 2 references
- Copy of BSc, MSc and PhD degrees
- Transcripts for all study programs
All documents must be submitted in English. The documents must be merged into a single PDF file and sent to email@example.com (subject line: Postdoc Position in Cloud-Edge Computing). For additional files such as theses and publications please add a link in the submitted pdf to a cloud repository and make it accessible or use WeTransfer. The candidate will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of the application.
Direct questions to:
Prof. Dr. Thomas Fahringer
Institute of Computer Science, University of Innsbruck
Technikerstr. 21a, A-6020 Innsbruck, Austria